Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Labor Day!

I hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend! This weekend (and the past couple) I've been able to learn about and experience some traditions down here along with sharing some new experiences with my HESA friends. It's been enlightening and entertaining to say the least...here are some highlights:

Sorority Bid Day (aka Squeal day) is a big deal on this campus. All the girls gather on the historic horseshoe on a Sunday afternoon and get their bid cards with which sorority they will be pledging. Lots of balloons, screams, tears and emotions. I was curious after hearing about the craziness and it definitely was a sight to see...

the first of many balloon arches on the Horseshoe

girls running after opening their bids...it was dangerous!

spectators staying clear of the chaos: Lauren, me, Mary and Emily

Another tradition for HESA students is McFly. Little did I know what a huge crowd this 80s cover band draws!

McFly himself scaling the wall...his signature move before singing a little Journey

Friends in my cohort: Nayland and Adrienne

Stadium Suites ladies: Lauren, Angela and Emily (missing Melissa)


First meal at Chick-fil-A. Melissa is from Michigan so neither of us had ever set foot inside this restaurant. Some of the girls decided that the "northerners" needed to experience at least one meal here. I must say, they do make a mean chicken salad sandwich.

Melissa and me enjoying our first meal!

Yesterday a big crew of us made the short trip to Charleston to spend the day at the beach. We went to a spot called Sullivan's Island which is a quieter local spot. One of the guys in the program grew up in Charleston and gave us the inside scoop. It was a beautiful beach and we had perfect weather...couldn't have asked for a better day!



the view from our spot

HESA Beach Crew

1 comment:

Caitlyn said...

Yay for the beach! I am loving the view :)

And the sorority event looks like quite the production over there...have fun during your second full week and I'll talk to you soon!